8/9/11

Springfield XDM 45 Mini Review

I had a chance to shoot a customers XDM 45 this weekend. I've always had a thing for the XD series pistols, although I consider it more of a guilty pleasure. The guns sit too high in the hand, the texture of the frame lends itself to being slick in wet conditions and the triggers are inconsistent at best. Vent mode off.


This thing shot great. Recoil was minimal due to the size and weight of the pistol. That wide back strap really helps distribute the push evenly across the hand. The gun was certainly combat accurate. Center of mass was easy even shooting somewhat carelessly. X rings were easy when the trigger broke well. However due to the inconsistencies of said trigger, I found it hard to shoot any serious groups. The gun ran 100% and aside from the trigger, I have no complaints. The stock sights are great and come up on target very quickly. The accessory rail gives you the option to add a flashlight or laser. You won't be very limited on choices either, this is a big pistol and just about any standard pistol light or laser is going to fit with room to spare. The ambidextrous magazine release was also a nice touch, and despite my small hands and the guns large grip I found it easy to manipulate.


All in all I would definitely recommend the gun. If springfield could get their trigger issues worked out, it would come even more highly recommended. If I were looking for a full size polymer frame 45, the XDM would be one of my top considerations. However, due to the trigger concerns, I'd take the older 5" XD Tactical.




Thanks for reading. Stay safe.

16 comments:

  1. You're so wrong in your review... not sure which pistol you're comparing to but it's better than the Glock series by all means. Not only is the gun accurate but it also looks great; XDm series are what modern pistol should be. I love the extras that comes with the gun. There is no company out there currently that gives you all the accessories and quality comes with a SA.

    Good luck finding something close to performance of SA at this price level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not entirely true. Compare the accessories of the XDm with the accessories that come with the Smith and Wesson M&P series and I think you'll find them similar in that aspect.

      Delete
  2. Oh.. forgot to comment on your down play of the XDM trigger. For factory trigger, it's got the shortest reset of any polymer pistol out there. Glock comes close 2nd in the trigger pull w/o any custom trigger job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by the "inconsistant" trigger comments. I've put over 1000 rounds through my XDM .45, and havent noticed any variance whatsoever. When I let others shoot mine at the range, the first comment is how nice the trigger feels. Perhaps the consistancy of the weapon magnified your own inconsistancies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the trigger. My XDM45 has a very good trigger, an I especially like the minimal reset feature. This gun definitely helps me shoot better compared to other pistols.

      Delete
  4. My penis became extremely erect reading these reviews and comments.
    Many more childish potty jokes to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with the author's comment about the pistol sitting too high in the hand. I didn't notice any of that-the thing feels great- very balanced! I love this gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and one other thing;it is not slick in wet conditions.

      Delete
  6. It's a bad ass gun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is great. Better than my Glock 21. Not as good as my Kember but bought for different reasons. If you have such small hands maybe a .22 woukd fit better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I own the XDm with the silver color slide with a 4.5" barrel. Flawlessly eats any ammo and is surgically accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am looking to buy my first45. and i can't take eyes off of this xdm i keep hearing great things about it. I'm gonna go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guy might have gotten a bad trigger... but doubt it. My XDm has a GREAT trigger for a poly pistol. Lots of gays posting here about guys tools... is this Obama central??? HE likes a big kielbasa too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the article and review was correctly titled, "Awfully Inaccurate." Having owned most quality polymer pistols out there, I do favor my XDM chambered in 45ACP. Although the trigger isn't what a competitive shooter may like, it is a quality trigger, in a quality pistol, from a quality company. The pistol fits well, shoots even better and is highly accurate and reliable.

    I dropped in a Powder River Precision trigger kit in my everyday carry XDM, and now all three of the XD variations I have are equipped with them. Although what some would say is a bit pricey for a trigger, well worth it in the end. But then again, if you can't appreciate a good trigger in a quality pistol, maybe you should just stick with a Highpoint. You definitely get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested in reviews I own alot of firearms. Alot !! I have never owned a Springfield of any sort. I believe the Xdm will be my next purchase. If I may say there are lots of sites the invalid posting the immature comments can go on to present his IQ. Why on a site where we all own guns. ????

      Delete